Re: Tranny install

To: HMENTZEN@aol.com
Subject: Re: Tranny install
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 20:47:52 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hans,

I went through the same exact problem, working by myself.  I fought
it for an hour or more also and then by messing around with the angle
of the tranny compared to the engine it all of a sudden popped into
place, and you never saw someone put on a holding nut as fast as I
did!!!  I wasn't about to let it slip back off.

Best advice is just keep playing with it.  You might also try
spinning the output shaft while its in gear.  This will rotate the
input shaft slightly and help it line up with the splines of the
clutch disk.  One important note, did you use a clutch alignment tool
when you put the pressure plate and clutch disk in?  (assuming you
replaced them)  If you didn't touch the clutch then that won't be
your problem.

Good luck.

> Any hints on installing Spit tranny (by myself). I can't seem to get
> the input shaft i the last inch. I kept the tranny  in gear. Should
> I have to push very hard? Does it help to raise the back of the
> engine slightly. On my last install ,  I was pushing up from
> underneath and my brother worked from the inside. I'm alone now and
> have spent a frustrating hour plus trying to get it to fit. TIA Hans
> Mentzen

Brad  (In Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (In "Teething" Mode right now)
1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Car is finally home and ready for
Restoration)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Frame back in garage and ready to
paint)