Re: Tranny install

To: HMENTZEN <HMENTZEN@aol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tranny install
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 02:12:32 GMT
Hans writes...

>Any hints on installing Spit tranny (by myself). I can't seem to get the input
>shaft i the last inch. I kept the tranny  in gear. Should I have to push very
>hard? Does it help to raise the back of the engine slightly. On my last
>install ,  I was pushing up from underneath and my brother worked from the
>inside. I'm alone now and have spent a frustrating hour plus trying to get it
>to fit. TIA
>Hans Mentzen

Gee...I dunno Hans.  I had a helper each time I did mine and even that
was tough.  I was under the car supporting the bellhousing while my
buddie manned the tailshaft.  Like you,  we had trouble getting it to
go the last inch.  We tried two things...we raised the engine from
it's normal height and we rotated the tranny output flange <tranny in
gear> to help line up the splines.  It went in but it was no ballet.
:-)

If you could get a floor jack under the bellhousing,  that might help.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits