RE: Embarrassed to show driver

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Embarrassed to show driver
From: "Dennis Culligan" <dculligan@VNET.IBM.COM>
Date: Fri, 1 May 98 14:14:43 EDT
  TRUE STORY -  The first car show I ever entered was a Jaguar Touring Club
Concours d'Elegance (1989) (they had a non-Jaguar class).  It was me and one
other TR6.  The judges came to us and said unless we got a 3rd car to enter,
it wasn't an official class.  I went out to the parking lot and saw a very
tattered (but obviously driven) TR6.  I found the owner, explained the situa-
tion, and he entered the show. Since it was a Concours event, the judges were
looking for originality - I took 1st, the tattered TR6 took 2nd and the nicely
restored TR6 took 3rd (much to his chagrin).
  At nearly EVERY show I've ever been to, there is a collection of LBCs out in
the parking lot.  Some are drivers, some are in better shape than many cars on
the show field.  I've always assumed that these folks were simply too cheap
to pay the $5-$10 and support the club or organization that's sponsoring the
show.  It's sad...
                                                      Dennis