Re:Polishing Aluminum (Radio Console).

To: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Subject: Re:Polishing Aluminum (Radio Console).
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 07:24:39 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumph owners digest <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

On Fri, 1 May 1998, James wrote:

> Back when I was at school, I made a sand-cast turned aluminum blob for
> putting things in.  To polish it, I used cloth polisher, and this brick
> colourd haed wax block type stuff.  This was put on, and the metal
> polished whith it.  What is this stuff, and where can I get it from!!!

Tripoli!

(...I think)  It's a fine abrasive, prob'y around 15 000 grit.  I bet you
can get similar results using Turtle Wax rubbing compound (comes in a red
can)- don't use polishing compound (green can); it's finer.

I can get Tripoli via mail-order.  I don't have the vital statistics handy
at this time tho :-(

-Malcolm