Re: Polishing Aluminum (Radio Console).

To: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Polishing Aluminum (Radio Console).
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas01@snet.net>
Date: Sat, 02 May 1998 19:45:22 -0400
Cc: walker05@camosun.bc.ca, triumph owners digest <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

James wrote:

> Back when I was at school, I made a sand-cast turned aluminum blob for
> putting things in.  To polish it, I used cloth polisher, and this brick
> colourd haed wax block type stuff.  This was put on, and the metal
> polished whith it.  What is this stuff, and where can I get it from!!!

Red rouge, basically rust suspended in some kind of paste, I suspect it a
some sort of soap.  Sears, Home Depot and most any tool store sell it.  I
bought a pack of 4 bricks, Black Emery (Silicon Carbide), Brown Tripoli
(?), White Diamond (Aluminum Oxide) and Red Rouge (Ferous Oxide), for under
$10.  The Black Emery is the coarsest, Red Rouge is the finest.  I have
also seen these compound sold in individual peel away tubes. Red Rouge is
used to put the final polish on precision optics.

For aluminum, the package recommends using only the Brown Tripoly and the
White Diamond.  The package recommends Red Rouge for Brass, Copper, Gold,
Pewter, Sterling or Silver Plate, Nickel or Chrome Plate, Brass or Copper
Plate, Stainless Steel and Thermosetting Plastics.  Since Red Rouge is a
form of rust I personally would not recommend using it on steel.

Peter Thomas