Re: TR6

To: "Shane F. Ingate" <ingate@shiseis.com>
Subject: Re: TR6
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 17:18:37 -0800
Cc: sallen@ms.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> Steven Allen wrote:
>         > I am also looking for oppinions on whether the TR6
>         > is a car that could be used everyday.

I sort of find this question a little amusing when I see it...

First of all... these cars certainly can HANDLE modern road
conditions... they can go fast enough, steer and handle effectively, and
stop quick enough... if well maintained.

Can these cars be used everyday?

Of COURSE!

If you buy a "runner"... and just keep fixing things as they break...
and you're the type who focuses only on the problem.. and don't do a
little preventative maintenance while you're there...  then you can
expect to find yourself working on your car monthly or weekly... or...
ugh!... daily...

If you fully restore your car... at least mechanically... and really do
a complete restoration of the various systems... then you can expect NOT
to have to mess with your car so often.

I have restored my TR 4A mechanically...  I can jump in it and be as
comfortable about driving it to northern cal (from L.A.) as my other
car... a Japanese Nissan Pathfinder.
(I have a few spares and some tools in the boot, for peace of mind, but
generally speaking, I have rarely needed them.... no more or less than
the amount of times the Pathfinder has died on me, etc.)  I RARELY work
on my car.  I usually just tackle a few nagging things every few
months...  but always keep it ready to go!  I drive it when the weather
is good... (I don't drive it when it's bad... I can't... It didn't have
a top when I bought it... and I have not installed a new one as of
yet... it's been years now!)

I generally would not recommend a Triumph as someone's ONLY
transportation, but it could serve as such... particularly they do the
work themselves.

I generally do not recommend Triumphs or other older british cars to
people who do not intend to work on it themselves...  (at least be able
to handle the small things)  My reasoning is... typically, when my TR 4A
needs something... it's something I can do in an hour or less.  But if I
had to take it to a shop everytime... it may take a day to drop it off,
a day for them to tinker, and a day to get it back... etc... This can
all add up in both DOLLARS and TIME WITHOUT YOUR CAR....

The neat thing about these cars... if you are willing to get into it...
is that a simple tool set, (i.e. sears craftsman, etc.), can do 90% of
the work... and, with manual in hand, a home mechanic can tackle just
about anything.  Truly, they are easy to work on.
...and with the Triumph News Group to fall on... they're even easier to
work on...

--Justin