Re: TR6

To: Steven Allen <sallen@ms.com>
Subject: Re: TR6
From: Mike Thompson <miket@urgrgcc.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 05:00:30 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Steve,
I used a 60 TR3 everyday in Wash. DC. about ten years ago and plan on
giving my newest TR3 fair use. A TR6 is a car you can work on without
any fancy equipment. When I have gotten stuck in a modern car (yes they
break too) I was stuck. In my TR3 I could usually do a few roadside
tests and get going again. I once rebuilt a fuel pump in a parking lot.
Things that go wrong are silly things. Stuck carb floats, loose wires,
burnt points, etc.
As far as rebuilt cars that just depends on who did it. I had a Trans Am
that a guy hopped-up and didn't change valve springs for a high lift cam
and wiped the cam in a couple of months. Also I have had better luck
finding parts for my Brit cars than any american car I've had, thacks to
our great parts sources. And try finding a list like this on a chevy
caprice. Carbs are not that bad to adjust. They are easier to rebuild
than american carbs. My first TR3 had sat for 11 years in a muddy barn
and I rebuilt the motor and stuck the carbs back on after a little
cleaning and headed off to DC. I like my SU's. Most all IRS TR's sag.
This is not a problem. However vibration is. This is usually bad
U-joints. Fix those pronto. Go ahead and get the TR6, it is a basic
simple car.

Happy motoring!
Mike Thompson
59 TR3A