Re: MIG Welding question

To: haeg1@juno.com (john p haeg)
Subject: Re: MIG Welding question
From: "Mark A. Bunce" <bunce@alma.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 14:36:30 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
.team.netAt 09:49 PM 2/27/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Mark,
>
>You wrote:." I just spent about 25 hours replacing the right floor,rear
>quarter patch, inner,outer sills
>and scuttle repair".
>
>Have you done patching on exterior panels, or are you replacing the whole
>panel?
>I am trying to decide if I should buy a MIG or not. It would pay for
>itself if I can weld on some outer sills, and repair the inner fenders on
>my TR6.  My front and rear valences could stay if I did a little
>patching. How happy are you with the results that you are getting? Any
>other comments on the welder? Is it fun?
>
>Thanks for any input.
>
>John H. in Minneapolis.

>Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

John,
I was very happy with the out come of the floor ans sill replacement.
I replaced the whole floor and sill area. The inner wheel wells
on the back right had holes in them and I just used a nibbler
to make small panels that I mig-ed in. Very good looking and fun too.
I patched the quarter panel just in back of the door in front of
the wheel opening. I bought a repair panel from Spitbits and cut
just below the crease in the fender. I then shortened the repair
panel and flanged it. I drilled two holes above the flange after
slipping the panel in place and screwed it in. Then you mig about
5 - 1/2 welds across the seam and plug weld the rest in. The panel
fit soo clean that the bondo area is about 1"x8". Mig-ing is fun
and so far I can mig even 26 ga.

Mark
1970 MkIII Spitfire
1976 1500 Spitfire (just got friday!)