Re: MIG Welding question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MIG Welding question
From: "Mark A. Bunce" <bunce@alma.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 09:37:27 -0400
>Dear List,
>
>My friend and I recently bought a Lincoln Electric welder (the Model
>100), and we are busy learning how to make decent welds.  So
>far we have been using the flux core wire for practice welds on
>fairly heavy gauge metal.
>
>We have the MIG welding kit which we plan to install soon so that we
>can practice MIG welding on some sheet metal scraps.  My question
>is what gauge sheet metal is typically found on Triumphs?  Does
>anyone with this type welder have any suggestions as to the welder
>settings we should try with sheet metal?  Thanks in advance for any
>advice you can offer.
>
>Alan

Alan,
I have the same box and put on the mig attachment, it will weld so
much easier. I use 25%CO2/75%Argon mix. I just spent about 25
hours replacing the right floor,rear quarter patch, inner,outer sills
and scuttle repair. the settings very slightly, but C3 to D4 are a good
start. Gas was set at 25-30 CFH. Migs are great. I may never use a
buzz box again. On a lighter note, I go to buy a solid restoration in
progress today a 1:00 . It's a 1976 red Spitfire 1500. Good price
at $500.00. Found it in a warehouse 1 block from work. My local
hardware store owner saw me buying sandpaper for the Spit
and wanted to know if I wanted to buy another. He knew a guy
that was restoring it with his son and lost interest. That was last
week. Took a week to explain to the wife that we could buy it
and still go on vacation this year. Its been 50 here in Michigan
and I saw my first top down last nite. Now  I'm really in the
mood. Joe, I will send you all numbers later.

Mark Bunce
1970 Mk III Spitfire
Soon to be 1976 Spitfire 1500
St. Louis,MI