Re: Rear axle noise on spitfire

To: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Rear axle noise on spitfire
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 23:42:48 -0500
Cc: NikkiMW1@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
James wrote:

> If it's a chattering teeth sound, from the outside I too
> have the same problem.  Don't know what it is yet, I don't
> however think it's the half shafts, or UJ's, I believe it
> to be something to do with the suspension.  Maybe the
> bushes, or something's loos.  I only get it on one side.
>
> Or it might be the shock, remember the suspension changes
> shape when decelerating.
> The rear wheels look like this
> \---/ = decelerating
> |---| = cruising
> /---\ = accelerating
>
> This is why you don't accelerate round a corner, and
> you must never panic if you take a corner too fast.
> If you cruse round the corner you get the most grip, and
> the car is a lot less the minuet you decelerate, you
> loos it and end up in the bushes.
>
> One word of warning I believe the chattering sound is a
> symptom of something that causes the above effect to
> be amplified.  This is from personal experience.
>
> I only stayed on the road because of Somme extremely
> fast thinking, and steering.  I also only took the
> corner at a lower speed than I do in other cars.
>
> Sacred the hell out of the oncoming traffic, as well
> as my passenger and me.
>
> --
> James Carpenter
> Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot

Actually, if it's a chattering sound, it sounds a lot more like worn
u-joints to me.  Most noticeable while coasting, with the engine making
less noise so you can hear it?  U-joints, yep.

Sometimes, the only problem is that you need to replace a circlip or two
holding the cup(s) in the yoke.  Get under the car and see if any of the
circlips are loose enough to come out easily.  If so, take the thinnest
metal stock you can find (read: Coke can), cut out a small circle, and
shim up the circlip so it's fully tight against the top of the cup.
This (may) solve the problem.  More likely, you need at least one new
joint.  In that case, replace both.

--
Martin Secrest
Spitfire, GT6