Re: Rear axle noise on spitfire

To: NikkiMW1@aol.com
Subject: Re: Rear axle noise on spitfire
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 11:11:17 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
If it's a chattering teeth sound, from the outside I too
have the same problem.  Don't know what it is yet, I don't
however think it's the half shafts, or UJ's, I believe it
to be something to do with the suspension.  Maybe the
bushes, or something's loos.  I only get it on one side.

Or it might be the shock, remember the suspension changes
shape when decelerating.
The rear wheels look like this
\---/ = decelerating
|---| = cruising
/---\ = accelerating

This is why you don't accelerate round a corner, and
you must never panic if you take a corner too fast.
If you cruse round the corner you get the most grip, and
the car is a lot less the minuet you decelerate, you
loos it and end up in the bushes.

One word of warning I believe the chattering sound is a
symptom of something that causes the above effect to
be amplified.  This is from personal experience.

I only stayed on the road because of Somme extremely
fast thinking, and steering.  I also only took the
corner at a lower speed than I do in other cars.

Sacred the hell out of the oncoming traffic, as well
as my passenger and me.

--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot