Re: headlamps (The Difference Between LHD & RHD)

To: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: headlamps (The Difference Between LHD & RHD)
From: Joseph Sholtes <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 23:10:32 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Fred,

   When I owned my '78 Spit, I decided to upgrade to
Lucas H4 halogen headlamps.  It also puzzled me as to
why they offered right or left hand drive orientation. I
got my answer as soon as I used the lights.
  The LHD bulbs are the same for both sides of the car,
which seemed weird, but it makes sense.  The low beam
pattern has a sharp cut off - so as not to blind drivers
approaching from the left.
  I suppose the best way to describe the light pattern is
to use the o'clock method. (Positions on a clock face-
you know...)  At low beam, there is light from the position
of two o'clock down around the bottom to nine o'clock. The
light pattern is like a fog lamp's sharp hoizontal cut off, with
a "kick-up" to the right (or curb side). The right headlamp
kick- up illuminates  the right side parked cars, signs, and houses.
The left headlamp kick up illuminates the area straight in front
of the driver.
 Even though both lights of a matched pair are interchangeable,
they still manage to keep light away from the upper- left corner.
The cut-off is so sharp, that I was able to adjust the horizontal
line to co-incide with the "belt line" on the average car, totally
avoiding shining in their eyes.  I used the standard 55-60W
bulb, but could have used brighter, the cut off was that good.
High beam light seamed to be that of a "normal" headlamp's light
distibution.
 I have saved these lights for use in the TR 250, they were that
good. (Can't speak for the tripod lights, never used them.) And
they ARE NOT for sale.  Especially since I just found out they
are unavailable.  If the tripods are made by Lucas, I suspect the
light dispersion should be of equal quality.

                                JOE IV
                                TR 250
                              WALLINGFORD, CT. USA