Re: mk. II spit overdrive tranny

To: Scott Hal <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: mk. II spit overdrive tranny
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 08:44:34 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Scott Hal wrote:

> 1. I know about the driveshaft and wiring switch I'll need.  do I need any
> other hardware to make the swap, like a frame member, or brace?

You need a rear mount for the OD tranny, and you will have to drill some
new holes in the frame plate where it bolts down.

> 2. the tranny I'm looking at has a _very_ rusted input shaft.  it comes
> with a non-o/d tranny with a good input shaft.  the input shafts are the
> same from o/d to non-o/d, right?

Yes, it's the same, with a caveat.  Late-early (!) transmissions had a
bigger, caged,  pocket bearing and used a different input shaft.  However,
you can use either as the bearing surface on the mainshaft didn't change -
you just need to use the proper pocket bearing for the input shaft you
have.

> 3. the current owner can't verify the non-o/d tranny's year, but thinks
> it's an early one.  are the early and late input shafts interchangeable
> (probably not, right?)

Early ("3-rail") and late ("single-rail") have basically no
interchangeable parts.

> 4. is it the tranny gear ratios that are different, or the rear end, or
> both (from the o/d to the non-o/d)?

The actual gear rations in the transmission are the same - addition of the
overdrive gives two "new" ratios.  The rear end ratios in early cars
stayed the same to my knowledge.

> 5. does anyone know the weight of the transmission (for shipping purposes)?

I probably weighs 30-40 pounds more than the stock tranny (just a guess)

Hope this helps,
Mike Burdick
'70 Spit with early overdrive tranny added