Re: mk. II spit overdrive tranny

To: "Scott Hal" <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: mk. II spit overdrive tranny
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 06:30:43 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>1. I know about the driveshaft and wiring switch I'll need.  do I need any
>other hardware to make the swap, like a frame member, or brace?
**************************************
You will need the o/d mounting bracket, the one that bolts to the frame,
and depending on what years your swapping, you may have to drill the frame
rails for fit.
**************************************
*************************************
*************************************
>3. the current owner can't verify the non-o/d tranny's year, but thinks
>it's an early one.  are the early and late input shafts interchangeable
>(probably not, right?)
*************************************
No, input shafts from the different gearboxes, (non-synchro three rail,
early synchro three rail, single rail Marina type), are not the
interchangeable.
*************************************
>4. is it the tranny gear ratios that are different, or the rear end, or
>both (from the o/d to the non-o/d)?
*************************************
To my knowledge the rear end ratios didn't change from o/d to non o/d cars
(as they did for the GT6), in the USA, but you may have to re-calibrate
your speedometer, as these were different on o/d cars
>5. does anyone know the weight of the transmission (for shipping purposes)?
Sorry, can't help you there, but it's quit a bit heavier-

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle)