mk. II spit overdrive tranny

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: mk. II spit overdrive tranny
From: "Scott Hal" <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 19:28:17 -0500
ross, joe, lew, brad and the rest of the brain trust,

I have a line on an early o/d tranny with the o/d unit.  I want to put it
in my mk. II, non-o/d car.  questions:

1. I know about the driveshaft and wiring switch I'll need.  do I need any
other hardware to make the swap, like a frame member, or brace?

2. the tranny I'm looking at has a _very_ rusted input shaft.  it comes
with a non-o/d tranny with a good input shaft.  the input shafts are the
same from o/d to non-o/d, right?

3. the current owner can't verify the non-o/d tranny's year, but thinks
it's an early one.  are the early and late input shafts interchangeable
(probably not, right?)

4. is it the tranny gear ratios that are different, or the rear end, or
both (from the o/d to the non-o/d)?

5. does anyone know the weight of the transmission (for shipping purposes)?

sorry about the length, and thanks in advance.

scott
64 spit with doors, but no wiring at all