Spitfire propeller shaft

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire propeller shaft
From: HMENTZEN@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 22:38:10 EST
I have a few questions regarding the propeller shaft on my 79 Spit. I am
planning to replace the u-joints because the shaft seems to have to much free
play and it might be the cause of some clunking when I shift. I dropped the
exhaust system this evening and sprayed all the bolts with penetrant. When I
looked at the front of the shaft it looked like it had a c-v type joint
instead of a u-joint. I thought this style was used on the 80's ?
It seemed like most of the slop was at the c-v end of the shaft. Is that
rebuildable?  Will an older style shaft (with 2 u-joints) fit if I can find
one in the junk yard? All ideas will be appreciated. TIA

Hans Mentzen 79 Spit
FM 92061