Re: Tach Question

To: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>, jaltman@altlaw.com
Subject: Re: Tach Question
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@pa.ausom.net.au>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 09:12:03 +1000
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
At 11:39 PM +1000 21/2/98, Ken Streeter wrote:

>  However, the exact number is likely to vary somewhat
>depending on things like what type of tires are on the car,
>if the wheels are stock, and even how much air is in those
>tires.  So I find it quite reasonable that my empirical
>numbers differ from those in the Bentley / TR6 factory manual.

Do the tyres, wheels and air pressure really have any effect?

The relationship between the speedometer and the tachometer is determined
by the drive train (gearbox and diff) and should not be affected by any
aspect of the wheels.

However, changing the wheels, etc will change the relationship between
indicated and actual speed.  So, if the speedometer is recalibrated for new
wheels, etc, then the relationship between the speedometer and the
tachometer will change from that indicated in the manual.

A bit under 3000 rpm is my recollection of the engine speed at 60 mph.

Incidentally, does anyone have a late model metric TR6 speedometer that
they do not want?  I find the imperial speedometer an annoying distraction;
particularly as it is marked at 25 kph intervals and the speed limits are
at 10 kph intervals.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U