Re: Tach Question

To: "triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu" <triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu>, "jaltman@altlaw.com" <jaltman@altlaw.com>
Subject: Re: Tach Question
From: "Ross Vincenti" <RVincenti@lbfc.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 10:20 -0800
Jim wrote:

I recently changed out my Tach cable and the relationship between speed and
RPM appears different than it used to be.  Would one of you kind fellas
please tell me what your Tach reads when doing 60 in 4th gear.  I have a
straight old stock no changes 69 TR6 - no overdrive, standard Michelin
tires. Before the tach cable was changed I was reading about 3200 RPM at 60
mph, now I am reading 3600 or so.  How can the cable make such a difference?
I don't believe the speedo has changed as my shimmy at about 65 MPH is still
at about 65 MPH.

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com   non illegitimus carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/    69-TR6#CC28754L  W4UCK
     ==================
     Jim - FYI, the tach on my Spitfire reads about 700 RPM higher than
     actual engine speed - I checked it with a dwell/tachometer device.
     Since it is a mechanical tach I assume the gearing is wrong or
     something else is fouled up inside the tach itself.  Thus, "normal"
     idle for me is about 1,400 rpm on the tach face.  It does look pretty
     cool though when I wind it up to redline - WOW! 6,700 RPM!! What a
     screamer! (chuckle).

     Ross D. Vincenti
     64 Spitfire 4
     64 Porsche 356C Coupe