Re: Lockwashers

To: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Subject: Re: Lockwashers
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 11:12:03 +1100 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jack,

When I went to refit my rebuilt TR7 (Sprint) engine, we found that the
lockwashers (specified in the manual) on the clutch-to-flywheel screws would
visibly spread when the specified torque was applied to the screws. So we
pissed the lockwashers off. Two years later, the clutch is still where it's
supposed to be!

This is hard to figure, because many people must have used that manual (I
can't remember if it was the Haynes or the '75 factory repair manual, or
both), and used the same parts. _Has_ anyone else had this experience?

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia