Re: oil pressure / starting a car ACCUSUMP

To: Triumph News Group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: oil pressure / starting a car ACCUSUMP
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 16:14:30 -0800
Cc: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>, Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, Romano Kroemer <romano@bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk>, Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
All this talk about oil pressure vs. engine start up...

Has anyone on the list utilized a "Accusump"?

For those that don't know about these... I will type the description I
find in the 98 Pegasus (auto racing supplies) catalog.

"Most bearing and camshaft damage in an engine occurs when one of the
two sitautions take place.  The first is when the engine is being turned
over by the starter during the few seconds after start-up, before full
oil pressure is developed.  An Accusump eliminates this wear by storing
pressurized oil before the engine is turned off.  The pressurized oil is
then allowed to flow back in the engine just prior to startup so that
oil pressure and flow is restored even before the engine is turned
over.  The second condition that results in bearing and camshaft damage
is when the oil pump pick-up is uncovered during high G-load maneuavers
which can occur during hard cornering or braking.  This results in a
sudden drop in oil pressure and subsequent engine damage.  An Accusump
prevents this damage by automatically maintaining oil pressure when the
oil pump stops delivering oil."

They also sell a "Accusump Turbo Oiler" that works on the same
principal.

Prices ranges for these products are around $125 to $270.00 depending on
capacities and whether they are manual or electric.  And it looks like
it will take another $20 for fittings, etc.

I have been considering one of these for my TR 4A for a long time.   The
purpose of this note is to be informative... and to also hear if anyone
has had experience with these.

--Justin
http://www.greenheart.com/jmwagner

P.S. I just did an Alta Vista search and found Pegasus does have a
Website, though there are no product details available:

http://www.execpc.com/~pegasus/index.html