Lockwashers

To: triumph digest <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Lockwashers
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 07:56:40 -0500
As far as the other lock tabs on these motors...<Personal Opinion Mode
ON>...throw the suckers away. There's no reason I can think of to use an
80
ton cold rolled heat treated rod bolt, and then stick a soft tin lock
tab
with a Rockwell hardness of about 1 under it. <POM OFF>

Jeez, I love opinions...just like you-know-what's...everybodies got
one...
         Nick in Nor Cal

I haven't started a controversial thread in awhile, so here goes one
regarding lockwashers, locking tabs, loctite, torque, etc.

I just retired from life-long employment in one of the world's leading
construction and agricultural equipment manufacturers. They use LOTS of
bolts -- billions of them.

Extensive research revealed a number of years ago that when designing a
bolted joint that is metal to metal, the one single thing that insured
bolt retention was proper torque. Furthermore, they found that locking
tabs and lockwashers do ALMOST NOTHING in terms of retention of the
bolt. Subsequently, as each product was redesigned, all retaing hardware
was eliminated, as was spotfacing under the heads of bolts. Instead, we
specified very flat surfaces in the as-cast condition. Thiese changes
resulted in huge savings and NO increase in failures.

We DO make extensive use of Loctite compounds, however.

Because of this, I have eliminated things from my racecar like the sheet
metal locking tabs on rod bolts, the lock tabs on flywheels and ring
gears, etc. I have never had a bolt loosen because of this.

Let the flames begin.
--
uncle jack the carfrek
TR4 Rallye Replica vintage racer