Re: Supertrapp

To: ssutton@ridgecrest.ca.us
Subject: Re: Supertrapp
From: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 11:07:07 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
    How often do you have to repack your SuperTrapp - I am assuming
    your have the fiberglass wrapped core version.  What's the noise
    level like - does it drone like the Monza systems?  I know that
    they are tuneable for backpressure and noise.  Are you running a
    single or dual setup and what size (difusser size and inlet size).

    I am thinking about using one for my SB-42 exempt TR-6 with a
    fairly fresh rebuild (5k miles), headers, Isky Z-19 grind cam, 9:1
    head, intake????  Thinking about a 2 1/2" single exhaust
    terminating into a 4" disfuser Supertrapp.

I have yet to replace the fibreglass; it's been on there for about four
years.

I find the sound much more pleasant than the single Monza that was on
the car when I got it (one box, twin tips). The sound is certainly
present when cruising, but not obnoxiously so. I think it would be less
present in an open car. Mine is fairly well isolated by rubber hangers,
which may be the key.

The sound is *glorious* at WOT, esp about 4K rpm.

The Monza *always* dragged the curb; the way I arranged this I have
really good ground clearance. It's a 4", and I'm pretty sure it's a 2"
inlet.  I'm running about 7 disks with the Strombergs; about 10 when I
have the triple DCOEs on. Given your changes, I'd take a look at what
Kastner says about TR-6 exhaust plumbing and follow his advice on
sizes.

Are you thinking of having the exhaust go straight out the back on your
6? I would be concerned about ground clearance. My 4A had
twin-box/four-tip Monza system on it for a while, and I had nothing but
trouble scraping and banging. When the mounts finally broke (as they
always do), I went to a Falcon OEM-style system. I like my side-exit
layout, but it may not look right on a TR - consider having a split
pipe just ahead of the diff and going to two smaller Supertrapps,
perhaps the "concealed disc" models. You can stil find 3" diffusers in
motorcycle catalogs. Or one larger concealed disc unit that's hidden
under the trunk with a stinger out the rear.

What I did when I got the 'trapp was figure out how I wanted to hang it
first, then got some flexible exhaust tubing and rigged the rest. That
let me figure out if I liked it, if it scraped, etc. When I was happy,
I took it to a good muffer shop and had them make up the piping in
aluminized steel tube.