Re: Anti-sieze on brake fittings

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Anti-sieze on brake fittings
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 00:05:03 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Malcolm Walker wrote:

> A word of caution:  I was advised against using Nevr-Seez (the
> aluminum-based stuff) on my brake line fittings.  It is rumored to react
> with brake fluid and cause corrosion.

I doubt if it will do that.  However, Nevr-Seez and most other anti-sieze
compounds use oil or light grease as a carrier for the aluminum particles,
so should not be used in any application where contact with brake fluid
might occur.  If some of it gets carried into the brake system, it will
cause the rubber parts to swell.  Not good!

If you're using silicone brake fluid, just lube the bleeder threads and
brake line fittings with it.  Or, regardless of your choice of fluids, use
brake cylinder assembly lube.  You can get it in small bottles or tubes at
large auto supply stores.  One bottle will last your lifetime (unless you
run a brake shop), and you can pass it down from generation to
generation of future BritCar-loving Walkers.  :-)

> However I think it should be fine if you use DOT5... (here we go again..)

Your choice of brake fluid has nothing to do with it.  Regardless of the
fluid type, petroleum-based substances must NOT be allowed to get into the
hydraulic system.

> Can anyone else support or rebuke this?  I put some heavy grease over the
> fittings after they were tight, but maybe that's not a good idea either.

Be careful to remove all traces of the grease before you disassemble those
fittings!

> It also helps if you bleed your brakes once in a while (ie every 2
> years)-- when the screws haven't been touched in 30 years they tend to get
> stuck.

Even with silicone fluid, it's good practice to bleed brakes thoroughly at
least every two years to remove any water or water-contaminated fluid from
the system.  An hour's work once every two years can make your hydraulic
system last a lot longer.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net