Re: Tr6 steering rack

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tr6 steering rack
From: Sam Gentry <hsgentry@cfw.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 18:40:12 -0500
I use grease.  The GT6 MK III manual is written in a way that could easily
make
you think it should be gear oil.  The rack section immediately follows the
section on steering swivels which do take oil (in a grease gun).  However, the
GT6+, and GT6  manuals have a table that clearly indicates that the swivels
take oil (they refer to an OIL GUN) and the rack takes grease.

In addition, I owned a GT6 new in 1968 and I remember the dealer using grease
on the rack.

BTW, I think many swivels have grease in them instead of oil.  After a grease
fitting is installed many folks think grease goes in there.  I don't know if
this is good or bad.

Sam