Re: British Parts NW Advice

To: Shawn Mann <shawmon@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: British Parts NW Advice
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 15:20:38 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Shawn Mann wrote:

> Listers,
>
> As some of you know, I brought home a TR6 at the beginning of the week.
> Although it's a a solid one owner, California car, it has been stored
> for over ten years, and as such, needs lots of hydraulic rebuild stuff,
> and cosmetics: notably new top, crash pads, carpet set, etc...  I saw
> the February sale ad for British Parts Northwest in the February
> Hemmings.  Of those that have actually done business with this company

Someone on the list was said to have broken a piston in their Spitfire
in an engine which was about a month old, as I recall, and the piston
came from BPNW. This got me a bit nervous, since I had bought an 0.030"
over piston set from them during one of their clearance sales.

When I checked with him, he said it seemed to be a generic part, and was
a bit suspicious about the packaging. The ones I bought were original
Hepolites in the matched set box, so there may be some difference in
quality of engine parts, and in their sources of supply. For other
items, the experience of the rest of the list will have to apply.

For my part, I got some hard-to-find parts (GT6 pop-up pistons) of OEM
quality for about $60 less than any other company was selling a standard
set, so I can't complain.

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....