Re: TR250 w/ Thrust problem-now running

To: Highway Star <highwaystar@juno.com>
Subject: Re: TR250 w/ Thrust problem-now running
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 21:02:16 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Highway Star wrote:

> Hi follks-
>
> Amazing isn't it!? [snip]

After a year, you were probably wondering if it was ever going to run
again.... <smile of experience>

> it's not over yet!  To all those who have patience to indulge and answer
> some more of the problems I've run into, I'd appreciate it:
>
> 1-Car was running perfect before all this idled at 800 RPM perfectly, now
> it's running rough!?  Is it a carburetor adjustment problem? Bucks while
> driving, and feels like it gets gas starved and jerks.

After a very long time sitting, it's possible that there's some varnish
accumulated in the carburetors, probably in or around the jet. The other
possibilities, since the engine's been apart, are valve or ignition
timing, and, as likely, vacuum leaks around dry carb gaskets or a
not-quite-mated-up intake manifold. See if you can find a vacuum gauge
and check the latter before being concerned about valve timing. The
other way to check is to spray a little oil around the mating areas
(head-to-manifold, carbs-to-manifold). If there's a sudden increase in
engine speed or smoothness, it's probably a vacuum leak.

> 2-Body problem:  They had to take my hood off to do all this work, so
> they bolted the hood back on and the gap between the fender and the hood
> (which used to be constant and tight, let's say 3/16" or so from the
> headlights to the valence) is now like this "^" wide gap at the headlight
> area and tapers to a tight fit reaching the valence area. What the heck
> happened here?  Mechanic tells me its an installation thing, they can
> pull the fenders closer and then bolt the hood for the perfect gap...is
> that so?

Don't let them fool with the fenders unless the fenders have been
removed. Look carefully at the hood hinges--they are slotted to allow a
bit of adjustment so that the hood will match the fender seams--it takes
some time to get this right. The fenders actually have nothing to do
with hood alignment, since the fenders (wings, in British parlance) are
attached to the inner fender.

Moreover, it would be difficult to have that sort of gap at _both_
fender fronts if it weren't there before, unless the shop had been
trying to remove something and spread them. With the hood up, try
putting a straightedge against the inner fender flange and see if that's
true, before doing anything else.

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....