Re: Floors / importing etc

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Floors / importing etc
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 11:36:35 -0800
Neil,

I replaced the floors in my TR6 with the body off the frame.  Before
removing the body, I welded a piece of steel between the A and B post to
maintain integrity in this area.  I placed the body on four supports:  1 at
front, 1 at read and two in the middle.  All used the frame mounting
points.  The arrangement kept the body steady and prevented stressing the
body.

I had to do the boot (trunk), and both floors.  I did each one at a time to
keep as much structural strength as possible.  The new sheetmetal fit right
up with no trimming or misalignment.  Actually the eaiest part was fitting
the new sheetmetal.

I had no ill after affects from this.  All the sheet metal is aligning up
perfectly after reinstalling the body on the frame.

Dave,
San Diego, Ca
1970 TR6 PI RHD CP51649
 _______________________________________
|   ___  __      _ _  _  _  __          |
|    |   |_\  |  | |  |\/|  |_\  |_|    |
|    |   |\   |  |_|  |  |  |    | |    |
|_______________________________________|
   \                                 /
    \   I  N  J  E  C  T  I  O  N   /
     \_____________________________/

Neil wrote:
If this reaches the list it will be my first sucessful post for 2
years or so as I have had my posts turned away due to email aliasing
problems here. Thanks Mark for resolving this.
The Aussie export post of mine was related to a very old question regarding
importing cars to Aus. My experience is bringing  cars to the US from
the UK. Mark only recently forward it to the list.
James asked about floors. I've always understood that floor
replacement, like rocker (UK trans. "sill"), should be done with the car
very thoroughly supported under the frame, outriggers, sills and
floors. Also only work on one side at a time to retain as much
rigidity as possible.
I think that this accounts for the door and panel alignment problems I
experience.....
Neil
'73 Spitfire MkIV 1296cc RHD.
Austin, TX