Hot engine with lights on

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Hot engine with lights on
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 17:52:49 +1100 (EST)
Dear Listers,

I have a 2-year old Lucas alternator on my TR7 Sprint. It has been repaired
no fewer than 3 times (rectifier, then brushes, then bearing)!

Now I find that with the lights on, I run hotter (the temp gauge goes to a
bit past 3/8 of the range, whereas without lights it sits at about 1/4 even
on hot days). The alternator certainly qualifies as "the usual suspect", but
the battery terminals show 14 V at idle, whether the lights are on or off,
and the idle rpm goes down only a fraction with the lights on. Is this a
lousy test for an alternator?

Alternatively, could this be caused by a partial short (low-resistance
link?) in the light circuit? (But then, the above tests should have revealed
something!)

I'm about ready to test the survivability of Lucas alternators to repeated
blows from a large crowbar.

Any suggestions from you electrical wizards out there?

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia