Re: Add on oil gauge

To: "Benjamin L. Harrell" <mp2817@medmail.mcg.edu>
Subject: Re: Add on oil gauge
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 00:07:16 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Benjamin L. Harrell wrote:

> I recently purchased my first Triumph, a beautiful (beauty is in the eye
> of the beholder) 1980 Spitfire.  I've already made several nice
> modifications which have improved the performance:  Added air shocks to
> the rear,replaced the factory electric fan with a smaller more effecient
> and oporational unit, along with misc. repairs.  Sorry to be wordy but has
> anyone added an oil pressure gauge?  This model, as you probably know only
> has a warning light.  I would like for my new found love to last a long
> time, any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben Harrell
> 1980 orange Spitfire, hardtop, OD, loads of fun

Ben:

I added one last year when I replaced my dash.  On my Spit, and perhaps
yours, there is a cutout in the metal fascia backing plate to the left
of the speedo (this is where the "eyeball" vent is located on the GT6)
that perfectly accommodates a 2"(+) Smiths mechanical oil pressure
gauge.  From this location, one can run an oil line in a straight line
through one of the existing holes in the firewall to the left side of
the engine.  The gauge I installed is lighted green (like the rest of
the dash), and is a "full-circle" instrument, measuring up to 100 psi.
Next to the "full-circle" speedo and tach (as opposed to the halved,
linear fuel and temp gauge), it looks logically located.  You will,
however, also need a "T" adaptor at the engine so you can run the dash
gauge concurrently with the idiot light -- most people (justifiably)
like to retain the redundancy ...

--
Martin Secrest
74 Spitfire