RE: TR4 Brakes

To: "'MRobe33243@aol.com'" <MRobe33243@aol.com>
Subject: RE: TR4 Brakes
From: David Moag <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 17:53:03 -0800
Bob,

This dimwit, when trying to rebuild my rear brakes (TR3B) using shoes that
turned out to be too thick, basically pounded my right rear brake drum
on... assuming that once it was all the way on it would magically make
enough room in there for the shoes and all would be fine. Wrong again! For
awhile it seemed I'd never get the drum off. What worked was: removed  the
nuts that hold the adjuster on; using a copper headed hammer tapped the
adjuster in; this loosened things up a bit; then I could pound around the
edge of the drum (using the copper head and/or block of wood) and worked it
off. I kept having to re-tap the adjuster back into the drum to keep
everything progressing.

If that hadn't worked, my next step was to a) remove the backing plates and
brake line attached to the wheel cylinder (so it'd be free to come off w/
the drum), and b) cut the heads off of the hold-down pins (cheap to
replace). If you do both of those, there's nothing left to hold the drum
on, and all should come off as a unit if nothing else.

Hope it helps!

- Dave Moag
  77 Spitfire
  62 TR3B

On Monday, February 09, 1998 3:42 PM, MRobe33243@aol.com
[SMTP:MRobe33243@aol.com] wrote:
> Some time ago (5 years) a gorilla with dyslexia installed new brake
linings on
> my 4. I attended the  ceremony where he had no problem installing the
left
> shoes but had one hell of a time with the right side.  After much
struggle, he
> finally molded the drum over the brakes, and that the brakes will wear in
> after a few miles.  At the time, I acknowledged his prognosis... I drove
home
> and put the 4 up on blocks where it has rested for five years.  The itch
> drive a true machine returned two weeks ago and I attempted to roll the 4
out
> of the garage and found it would noit roll under any pressure..  I
attempted
> to remove the drum with a drum puller, with and without heat, with all
the
> pressure I could exert (resulting in compressed axle threads) to no
avail.  As
> dumb luck would have it, I stumbled into this profound plethora of
Triumph