Re: TR4 Brakes

To: MRobe33243@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR4 Brakes
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 17:26:28 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 9 Feb 1998 MRobe33243@aol.com wrote:

> Some time ago (5 years) a gorilla with dyslexia installed new brake linings on
> my 4. I attended the  ceremony where he had no problem installing the left
> shoes but had one hell of a time with the right side.  After much struggle, he
> finally molded the drum over the brakes, and that the brakes will wear in
> after a few miles.  At the time, I acknowledged his prognosis... I drove home
> and put the 4 up on blocks where it has rested for five years.  The itch to
> drive a true machine returned two weeks ago and I attempted to roll the 4 out
> of the garage and found it would noit roll under any pressure..  I attempted

1) first make sure the handbrake's off.  I've seen guys whale away at
brake drums with the e-brake on... they don't budge.

2) make sure the adjuster's not stuck.  Then adjust the shoes all the way
in (undo it).  The adjuster's a little square thing on the backside of the
backing plate; I use an allen key in a 1/4" drive socket to turn it.

3) make sure the 2 phillips-head screws are out.  They hold the drum onto
the hub.

4) be careful.  If it comes free suddenly you will find yourself with a
few new bruises!

good luck,
-Malcolm