Re: Brookland Screens

To: Mike Thompson <miket@urgrgcc.edu>
Subject: Re: Brookland Screens
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 18:10:22 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Mike Thompson wrote:

> Hi all,
> Does anyone have experience driving TR's with brooklands racing screens
> ie. are they street legal. There were a couple of guys that drove down
> from Canada with them. I don't want to call the state patrol to ask,
> because I don't need them paying any more attention to me than needed.
> Thanks guys,
> Mike Thompson
> 59 TR3A
> 73 GT6
> 78 IROC XJ6

Hello Mike...

YOu can see my TR 4A with aeroscreens on my website.

I have put approx. 7,000 miles on the car WITH these screens.  I've
driven it from L.A. to San Francisco, several times... and use it as a
daily driver around Los Angeles.

I have never been pulled over for them.

I have pulled up at 7-11's and Donut shops... with dozens of L.A.P.D.
and Highway Patrol hanging about... and the only thing I get is "Hey,
what year is it??"  with a smile...

I went through the California vehicle code... and, honestly, I could not
find anything illegal about the aeroscreens...  they are made of safety
glass... this IS required...

Where they do get you is WINDSHIELD WIPERS...  you have to have
functioning windshield wipers...

Sounds silly... but if you want to make the car "technically" legal...
create a wiper arm that will work with your Driver's aeroscreen... do
that... and I think it is legal.

(this is something I've been meaning to tinker with.... )

Anyways... the main point is... police appreciate our cars and our
hobby...

In general... I'd say you don't have much to worry about...

Just remember, it is an EXCUSE to pull you over...  so if you're the
type that carries illicit drugs, open liquor containers, etc...  then
you may not want to create the probable-cause.... (but SHAME ON YOU, if
this is your situation!)

I enjoy the aero screens:

   you really need a hat that covers your ears on even remotely
chilly/damp nights, as the wind against your ears can cause infections.

   You really can't talk to your passenger over 55 mph.... it becomes
pointless....

   You need goggles when on the highway... etc.

   Your passengers rarely fully appreciate it... 90% say, "that's cool,
now put your windshield back on."  (The other 10% love it.)

Personally....  I just find it fun.  Makes the car more interesting...
and it creates more smiles as I drive... I like that.

--Justin
http://www.greenheart.com/jmwagner