Re: Rockers Broken

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, geo@ohio.net
Subject: Re: Rockers Broken
From: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 14:18:30 -0800
geo,
  I can't help you much on diagnosis, but I can't help but think that
it's the old "irresistable force vs. immovable object"!  In this case,
if true, the cam, lifter & pushrod are on the way up, and the valve may
be frozen in the guide (just a guess - don't know if this really
happens) and BANG - something breaks - in this case the rocker arm.
Could be mis-adjusted valves, I suppose, so that the valve is unable to
open any farther, but there's still some lift in the cam lobe.  I would
certainly check for bent pushrods, as that would give you an idea of
what might have happened.  I suppose it could be just a *bad* casting,
that eventually failed - rocker arm that is.

I would pull the engine & pan, and flush the block thoroughly (upside
down?) to get all the possible little pieces out.  I certainly dont
think you want SMP (small metal particles) in your running engine.  I'm
not sure a magnet would work either - I think the rockers are some sort
of alloy.  I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong  :^)

 Good luck.

Peter Ficklin
'63 & '68 Spits
Fresno, CA