Re: TR4A Front Calipers

To: Jim Jones <jonesj1@erols.com>
Subject: Re: TR4A Front Calipers
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 22:18:13 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, Jim Jones wrote:

> Have had no luck checking the usual references, so I want to throw this out
> to the list.  Have two different styles of front calipers.  They differ in
> the way the dust boot connects to the body of the caliper.  One has a lip
> which inserts into a slot in the bore the piston slides into.  This one
> appears to be stock TR4A.  The other requires a boot which slides over a
> lip which is an extension of the bore and is held in place by a wire spring
> clip.  I can't seem to find a picture of this one.  Is it from a Triumph?
> If so which one?  I'd like to get a set of boot for it.

TR6 calipers are virtually the same as TR3B/4/4A/250 calipers; the pistons
have a different dust boot assembly.  It's my hunch that you have got a
TR4A caliper and a (later) TR6 caliper.

I think the inside works are identical.  If you're a purist, buy a TR4A
caliper- if not, buy a TR6 rebuild kit.  The spring-retained boots were
used on post-1972 cars.  If I am wrong, someone please correct me!

There is also a difference in the pistons themselves; early ones have a
very thin groove to hold the rubber, and later ones have a wider (1/8")
groove.

I put later TR6 caliper pistons in my TR4 with no ill effects (so far)

You may also find that the TR6 caliper has some metric fittings.