Re: 79 Spit rebuild

To: Scott Davis <ssdavis1@ews.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: 79 Spit rebuild
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 10:35:45 +1100 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Scott,

At 11:33 5/02/98 -0600, you wrote:
>       Engine rebuilding.  I've done a few other 4 bangers, and have some
>experience, but not with Triumph.  What little hints and suggestions are
>there for working on these motors?

Replace then water pump and oil pump without hesitation.

Examine and measure the oil pump carefully: even new ones can be out-of-spec
and produce low pressure. (I fitted an 80 PSI relief spring to the pump, and
thermostatically-controlled oil cooler, which is advisable if you get hot
summers: it's been running above 30 dec C for the last few weeks, here).

Examine the head and block for casting flash (especially around the bearing
arches and oilways), and remove it with a chisel. Clean them both like buggery!

Automatic transmission fluid is good for cleaning the cylinders and journals
after they come back from the shop.

Do you use assembly lube? It beats oil by miles.

I'll let you know if I think of something else.

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia