TR3 = Recent acquisition

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR3 = Recent acquisition
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@satie.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 14:03:16 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Well,  the parts car (TS25057) is off the trailer - I "sold" it to my
mechanic for $1,000 in labor (engine didn't turn; rear brakes frozen;
clutch inop; rust and bondo everywhere; no interior;  -  a real dog).

Extra engine/tranny is on a furniture dolly in the back of the garage.
Engine turns; did a quick compression check - read around 140 on all
four.  Will clean it up later and save it for re-insertion in my '58..

The "NEW PROJECT" (TS81802/TS81904E) is out of the truck; sitting in the
garage.  Body shell just sitting on the frame.  Cleared all boxes and
parts out of it.  Took an inventory of the new (still in TRF & Moss
packaging - purchased in late 1990) parts.  At today's catalog prices
they totaled $4,487.20.   Major items:  New Wiper Motor; New Starter; SS
Exhaust System; Carpet Set;  All new lights etc; A second new
distributor (see next paragraph); Most chrome and Rubber little bits for
exterior; Brake/Clutch Master & Slave Cylinders; Carb rebuild kit &
shafts; throttle linkage pieces;  Control Head Assy; Control box; fuse
box; starter solenoid; -- can't think of anythng else but I'm sure if it
was major, it was there.

The engine, transmission, & o/d unit are at the mechanics to be
installed in my '58 so that I have something fun to drive while I work
on the new project (traded parts car for the labor).  Will be switched
back later.   Have rec'ts for the new o/d from some outfit in England.
$1,099.21 including shipping.  Purchased in Nov '89.  Have rec't for
rebuild tranny from TRF $891.25 including shipping done in early '90.
Have rec'ts for Pistons/Liners from TRF $531.18 incl/shpg.  Have rec'ts
for crankshaft re-work; new distributor, new ac fuel pump; new Lucas
Sport Coil; new Alum Oil Pan; and miscellaneous parts for engine rebuild
- all totaling about $1,250.

It appears to have a new camshaft; but can't find any rec't.  Engine was
missing its head; but my '58 was redone in July '96 to unleaded specs
and it will be a nice "marriage".

The front suspension and steering box appear to have been completely
redone (no rect's); Brakes redone (calipers, drums, shoes, pads, etc.
with new SS lines; Emergency brake cables, etc. are new.   Radiator and
Gas Tank have been cleaned and prepped.

Body is all original.  Paint job gone from sitting under plastic
outside.  No rust other than surface.  One minor ding on the front apron
(center) - easily repaired.  Floorboards are either in great shape or
have been replaced; the same for the sills and trunk floor.  (I don't
see re-welding so I think they are original.  The area around the
headlight indentation on the inner wings is pushed in on both sides.
Doesn't appear to be accident damage as everything around it is true so
who knows -- maybe after the body was apart.

Not sure where to start.  I may tackle getting the body stripped and
primed so that I don't have to worry about creeping brown stuff.
(Florida - Humidity? Nah)  Also it will confirm my evaluation about no
damage etc.  (Also, my wife won't think it is such an eyesore and
curtail her "Why did you do this?" question.)

Then I'll finish up the frame.  Can't think of any major items on that;
just the last bits.

Interior is original (in boxes) but non-existant.  as is the wiring
harness; wire wheels in real rough shape.  Tires hold air but are bald
beyond belief.

What I see as missing: side curtains; rear tonneau capping; temperature
guage (capilliary was cut); top etc; interior trim, seat covers, etc;
front and rear "bumpers".

Windshield frame needs re-chroming;

I figure that the PO  had at least $8,500 in parts and paid labor in it.
He did the engine rebuild himself and all labor on the frame.

My cost:  $2,100 including all expenses.  (Not counting the 1,000 for
putting the engine in the '58)

MUCH FUN AHEAD BUT I THOUGHT I WOULD GLOAT... :^)

Carl Musson
Tampa, Florida (USA)
TS25264L - Driver
TS81802L(O) - Frame off Restoration - In Progress (with a great
jumpstart from PO)
http://www.arts.usf.edu/~musson/triumph/ (photos coming)...