79 Spit rebuild

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 79 Spit rebuild
From: Scott Davis <ssdavis1@ews.uiuc.edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 11:33:49 -0600
        Well, I wanted to replace my spit motor with a 4A-GE, but it doesn't
look
like it's going to be a feasable project at this point due to time and shop
constraints.  Most likely, I will have to rebuild a stock spit motor and
install so that i can drive the durned car from Los Angeles to Chicago......

        Unless someone knows of a cheap way to ship cars.  The lowest estimates
that i have gotten have been in the $800 range.  Ugh......

        So, instead of dropping $800 into the car just to get it moved, I am
thinking of rebuilding a motor, shipping it to CA, then doing a quick job
to get the car in driveable condition.

        Engine rebuilding.  I've done a few other 4 bangers, and have some
experience, but not with Triumph.  What little hints and suggestions are
there for working on these motors?  And if anyone has done one lately, what
did it cost you, parts-wise?

        Thoughts, comments, etc are all appreciated.  Thanks!

Scott

Some people are alive simply because it is against the law to kill them.....

http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~ssdavis1
80 Corolla GT-S   TE720408517   4A-GE  T-50  4.1:1
80 Corolla Wagon   TE7250*  3cylendar 3T-C (soon to be 13T-U)  Automatic
79 Triumph Spitfire 1500 convertable      Soon to be 4A-GE/T-50
85Coupe/85LB Corolla GT-S parts cars