Re: Engine swaps - GT-6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine swaps - GT-6
From: Mark Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 00:43:59 -0700 (MST)
Putting a 2.5 TR6 mill in a GT6 seems a logical move.  There are a number of
pitfalls.  For the GT6 Mark 2 (GT6+) and Mark 3, the blocks are basically the
same, though the later TR6 2500cc castings have more crank clearance cast into
them.   A GT6 Mark 1 motor is a completely different animal, with a different
head casting and a different head stud size and spacing.  Same as the Vitesse
1600, mind you.

A big problem is that the longer stroke of the 2.5 motor (same bore as the 2
litre) causes some concern with the oilpan and steering rack clearence of the
2 litre cars.  Given that the 2 liter motor already has tight tolerances with
the bonnet* you can't just raise the motor, unless you want to whack on the
bonnet.  Actually, before I ramble on too much more, I should check out the
TriumphTune catalog, they have a bit on getting a 2.5 motor in a GT6.

mjb.

*: Have you ever seen a GT6 with a small *outward* ding on the bonnet right
   near the front of the "power bulge?"  Chances are the owner replaced the
   radiator hose and hose clamp, putting a generic screw type hose clamp from
   the local parts store on.  And putting the clamp where it was easy to turn
   resulted in having an extra 1/4 inch of hardware where the bonnet was
   supposd to be.