Hoodstick Colours

To: TR Digest <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Hoodstick Colours
From: John Pike <100400.3704@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 08:01:21 -0500
Back on 1January, Jim Wallace asked about the colour of the hoodsticks on
TRs.  This generated some responses, along the lines that the sticks should
be body coloured, and this was confirmed by the TRA  judging manual.

I  must say that as an Antipodean this came as a bit of a surprise, as I
have not seen too many TRs that have body coloured sticks as standard.
Maybe this was a departure for the left hookers, of which I have seen about
two.  According to Bill Piggott, the hoodsticks were usually red or black,
although he had seen silver ones which were claimed to be original.

>From my personal perspective, I bought two TR3As when they were brand new
in 1959 and 1960.  One was red, and the other was British Racing Green.  On
both cars, the hoodsticks were black.  I guess my trivia question to the
list would be "Was there a difference between the hoodstick colours for
cars made for the export market, which was predominantly left hand drive,
and those for the home and right hand drive market ??"  As an aside, I
would have thought that if there were going to be different colours, the
colour of the sticks would be more likely to match the interior colour,
rather than the body colour.  From a purely aesthetic viewpoint, I don't
think I'd like to see green sticks in a grey interior, and I'm sure you
could think of some other relatively ghastly combinations.

John Pike
1960 TR3A TS 75053 O