TR6 rod and main bearing replacement

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 rod and main bearing replacement
From: Chad Stretz <ccfarm@tranquility.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 06:40:26 -0600
Hello again!

After an extended lurk and a complete computer system failure, I'm back
with more questions.

I'm planning to replace my rod and main bearings from underneath my TR6
this weekend, and I'm confused about whether or not to re-use the cap
bolts.  The Bentley manual says to replace them, but I've seen other
publications that say to just use new lock washers.  The car is a 73,
and the bolts don't have lock washers on them now.  Is it critical that
I put them on?  If I decide to replace the bolts, can I get them from my
local hardware store?  What size/grade bolts do I need?

Also, the front main bearing cap is under (when you're looking at it
from underneath) the front sealing block.  Does anyone have any tips on
removal?  I'm particularly concerned about tearing up the front engine
plate gasket.  The Six-Tech manual that describes this whole procedure
doesn't mention the front sealing block or any potential problems with
it. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Any insight from the experienced would be greatly appreciated.

Chad Stretz
73 TR6
CF7511U