Re: The International Triumph Spitfire Database

To: RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
Subject: Re: The International Triumph Spitfire Database
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 15:54:52 +0000
Cc: james <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>, amace@unix2.nysed.gov, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Illegal-object: Syntax error in References: value found on gateway.ukaea.org.uk:References: <md5:CCFFEB455A66E8282EE61679FADB042F> ^-illegal end of message identification
RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk wrote:

> Well the cylinder head will swap no problem, they all will except for the
>1200.
> Now I think the bellhousing should all mate up OK, although if you are using a
> 1300 clutch, this has 10 splines in the friction plate, whereas a 1500(J-type)
> gearbox has 20 splines on the input shaft!!!  Did you use the flywheel off the
> 1500 engine, complete with clutch???
No 1300 clutch, flywheel, no O/D 1500 gearbox.  Sounds like you have
weigh to much
time, counting splines on you input shaft.  I would much rather count
the number
of valves on the cylinder head, there normaly mutliples of two.

> >The wrong engin might explain why the thing refuses to go above
> >4000 rpm's with the current carbs. Hmm.
>
> I suppose if it has the HS4's fitted then they maybe drowning the poor thing
>in
> fuel at about those rev's!!!
>
> What exactly did you do regarding the swapping the engine? what parts did or
> didn't you use?

New 1500 cam, and cam folowers.
1500 timing gear, and chain.
1300 pistons, and crank, thankfuly someone had already changed
the bearings when I got the engin, so I presume these are 1300.
1500 oil pump.
Austin Montego/Mistero 'O' serise 1600 distributer, with magnetic
pickup ing, and that cars centrafugal advance.
All 1500 gasgets, fule pump, timing cover, crank oilseal, pully.
1500 cyl head, rocker gear, pushrods, rocker cover.
1500 sump pan.

--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot