Re: The International Triumph Spitfire Database

To: RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
Subject: Re: The International Triumph Spitfire Database
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 10:16:13 +0500 (EST)
Cc: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>, Triumphs Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998 RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK wrote:

> >James,
> >I have read that the 1500 engine was borrowed from another Triumph that
> >had Front wheel Drive... By the way, the Herald engine
> >numbers began with a G, but the highest I have found is the 1296 that
> >had a GE prefix.  Of course the 1300 and 1500 engines share identical
> >outside dimensions.  Maybe that is what you have and the GE has been
> >distorted to look like a GK.
>
> Late Herald 13/60's had a GK series engine(God I sound sad now)...come on
> Andy, I've mentioned Heralds, I know you can't hold out much longer!!! :-)
>
> Cheerio
>
> Rich
>
> ps, the FWD car you mentioned was called a Triumph 1500 fwd, simple eh!  the
> engine wasn't a straight swap though as it had some kind of flywheel at the
> front for the starter motor to engage, weird set up if I remember right!

OK, Rich, I'm here now. It's ok. ;-)

I can't add much, except to a: agree with Rich, and b: note that with the
earlier Triumph 1300, the engine block is the same part number as that for
the Mk.3 Spitfire. I'm pretty sure that it's easy enough to swap these
engines back and forth, so long as the appropriate bits are bolted up to
the block.

--Andy