Re: TR transmissions

To: zink@pdq.net, spitlist@gte.net, rlmcneit@cpis.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR transmissions
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 10:52:47 EST
In a message dated 2/2/98 10:08:33 AM Eastern Standard Time, zink@pdq.net
writes:

> But in the same vein, a Buick 3.8L with
>  multi port FI and an intercooled turbo, produces about 300hp on pump gas.
>  And is significantly smaller than the Ford 5L.

Lawrence,

The Buick 3.8L is shorter than the Ford 5.0, but in all other dimensions it is
larger.  I have both a Buick 3.8 and a Ford 5.0 in my garage, and I have
measured them.  I originally considered using the Buick V6 in my TR6, but I
listened to a hopped-up Ford 5.0 in a TVR at one of the local British Car
Gatherings, and was hooked.  The rumble of a powerful V8 is addictive.

Has anyone looked into the Ford 3.8 V6?  If, per chance, that engine is based
on the 5.0, with two cylinders lopped off (along the same lines that the Buick
was created), then that might make an excellent choice.  I don't think that
engine has had the aftermarket devolopement that the Buick has, but, being
considerably lighter, it should have great potential (that is, assuming it is
based on the 5.0).

I will make that a project of mine, to look into that engine and its
potential.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'74 MGBGT---3000mile/year driver, original condition, slated for a V8 soon!
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74