Re: TR3B: Trouble Getting Brake Drums ON

Subject: Re: TR3B: Trouble Getting Brake Drums ON
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 98 16:38:52 -0800
You didn't say what car it was but if its the TR3, you didn't end up with
10 inch shoes to go on your 9 inch system by any chance?

If the shoes are not centered it can be very difficult to put drums on.
Its possible that the shoes are arched wrong for the drums.  If it was
me, I would recheck to make sure they are the right shoes and are put on
correctly.  Next, I would tap them with a hammer to make sure they are
properly seated.  If that didn't work, I would take the shoes & drums to
a brake place to have them checked & arched.

>Well, I've replaced all the old brake and clutch lines with a stainless
>steel set from Classic Tubing. They fit very well, all the bends in the
>right place! In the rear, I put in new shoes and wheel cylinders. Took
>apart the adjuster, cleaned it up, and have it backed all the way off.
>Cleaned up and replaced hand brake cable linkage. So now, I can't get the
>drums on. They're just too tight, even with the shoes pressed in as far as
>can go. On one side, using a wood block and hammer I was able to force the
>drum all the way on. But it's so tight against the shoes it's like the
>brakes are always on -- and there's not even any fluid in the system yet!
>No way the wheel turns with things so tight.
>
>Any ideas??
>
>Dave Moag
>77 Spitfire
>62 TR3B