Re: Grease Zerks

To: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: Grease Zerks
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 13:28:40 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Brad,
Join the crowd.  THe only way I have found to grease them is to bend the
U-joint over to
the side with the zerk on the enlarged section.  Most of the u-joints I have
seen on
those cars have a plug rather than a zerk.  (especially on the axle shafts)
THis is
because the longer zerks (required for clearance purposes) woll be broken off
if the
uU-joint makes a sharp bend.  This is not such a problem with the drive shaft
but is
with the axles.  What I have done is keep the long zerks handy and put them in
only when
lubrication is required.  After that, I put the plug back in.

Brad Kahler wrote:

> I;m Stumped.
>
> I've been trying to grease the u-joints on my Spitfire4 and can't get
> the nozzle of the grease gun on far enough.  This is a problem on al
> four u-joints.  I am using a standard grease gun, similiar to what
> you can buy at any auto supply store.  Is there something different I
> should be doing?  I hate to make my first drive in the car without
> first greasing the u-joings.

If you discover a better way, Let me know.

Joe Curry

--
"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible
 to travel across the country coast to coast without seeing