Re: lemons and vinyl

To: "Robert J. Carley" <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Re: lemons and vinyl
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas01@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 16:07:41 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Robert J. Carley wrote:

> I am re-doing my TR6 seats this winter.  The upholstery shop where I had a
> few repairs done recommended the application of 'lemon oil' as a method of
> caring for the vinyl.  They recommended against using the common
> commercial products for vinyl care, going so far as to say that they will
> harm the vinyl instead.

I don't know about lemon oil on vinyl, but I know it works great on wood.  The
shop probably knows what they are doing from experience.

The commercial products well but once you begin using them you have to
continue using them.  They soak into the vinyl. If you stop using them your
vinyl dries out, it is more likely to crack than if you never used the product
to start with.

On a side note, there is one product I have been using on the vinyl of my more
utilitarian vehicles, baby wipes.  I am not recommending them, I only bring
this up as an interesting side note.

Baby wipes do a great job of cleaning the vinyl and leave a residue of lanolin
that makes the vinyl as soft as a baby's bottom.  I use wipes that do not
contain alcohol.

After a weekend with the family in the car they are quite handy at cleaning up
the fast food residue that inevitably collects in the interior.  They are also
good for cleaning your hands after changing a tire or checking the oil.

Peter J. Thomas
CTC 66803 LO