Re: Electronic Ignition

To: DANMAS@aol.com, rdaniels@snet.net, DUHART@symbol.com, mlibhart@feist.com
Subject: Re: Electronic Ignition
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@pa.ausom.net.au>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 09:31:57 +1100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 4:53 +1100 30/1/98, DANMAS@aol.com wrote:
>The blue thing on the side
>of the coil is part of a noise suppression scheme, to reduce the ignition
>noise in the radio.  The ballast resister is ALWAYS wired in series with the
>coil. The blue noise suppressor is wired in parallel with the coil.

What exactly is the blue thing?  I have always assumed that it is a
capacitor for ignition noise suppression, but I cannot find it any handbook
or parts manual to confirm that.

I am trying to eliminate ignition noise by progressively replacing all the
suspect parts and disconnecting the blue thing makes no difference at all.
This either means that it has failed or that it is not the source of the
problem.  If I knew what it was, I could replace it.

Incidentally, can anyone explain why the blue thing is connected between
the coil and the block, is there some advantage in connecting to ground via
the block and the transmission ground strap?

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U