Re: Electronic Ignition

To: mlibhart@feist.com
Subject: Re: Electronic Ignition
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 23:56:13 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 1/28/98 8:49:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mlibhart@feist.com writes:

>  Am I correct in my belief that the
>  Lucas Sport Coil will pose no problem due to the fact that it has enough
>  internal resistance??

Martin,

I have been running that exact set-up in my TR6 for about 5 years now, with no
trouble at all.  When they say a ballast resister is required to limit coil
current, I believe they are talking about protecting the coil, rather than the
control module.  The instruction manual that came with mine also covers the
XR3000, and says that unit has "a computer chip which controls coil current
and dwell,"  thus eliminating the need for ballast.  Since the XR700 doesn't
have this feature, a separate ballast is required if the coil needs one.

It's interesting that they give a figure of 3 - 4 ohms for a Lucas coil in
your manual.  In my older manual, they say "Coils with internal resistance
will measure more than 1.5 ohms..."  Obviously an error they have since
corrected (well, not really an error, since 3 IS more than 1.5!!).

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'74 MGBGT---3000mile/year driver, original condition, slated for a V8 soon!
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74