Re: Pushrods revisited

To: Peter Lucas <pllj@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Pushrods revisited
From: Brian Neuschwander <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 18:02:44 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Peter-

I have a 1974 Federal 1500 and modified it.  It is installed in a 65
MKII

Started with:   Dished pistons
                Original unmilled head
                Original bore

Did this:       Installed flat top pistons
                Overbored .030
                Milled .060 from head (about 1/16th inch)
                Installed 280 degree cam
                Installed Weber DGV
                Installed Tube header (4 into 1)
                Installed free flow exhaust with one small glass pack

Got this:       Compression readings 175-200 (throttle open, plugs out.
                Gobs of power
                A little hot whan running slow (cured by electric fan)
                Demands Premium gas. Timing set at 12 dbtdc at 800 rpm
                28 to 30 mpg
                Lots of grins.

Before assembly I took a wax impression of the combustion chamber,
measured the volume in a graduated cylinder partially filled with water,
and did the math to find out the compression ratio.  It computes in at
9.3 to 1.  I believe European models were about 9 to 1.

I think the head has hot spots, though, because it tends to boil briefly
sometimes when turned off, although not read hot on the gauge.

I did break the crank in this motor, though, at about 5000 after
rebuild.  But that may have been on account of prior abuse.  I am
running a crank from a 77 now.
--
Brian W. Neuschwander
79 Spitfire