Woodruff key removal

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Woodruff key removal
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 17:45:59 -0800
On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, William West wrote:

> How do you remove that half-circle 'key' that hold the crank sprocket on?
> How do you reinstall it?
To remove stubborn woodruff keys a little trick I learned is to use a large
wire cutter or "dykes" as I call 'em (probably came from some trade name).
You grab one end of the key, as close to the shaft as possible, and as far
back on the cutter as possible, and pry it up.  So far I haven't come
across a woodruff key that I couldn't remove this way.  It may leave two
small indents or "cuts" on the side/curved edge of the woodruff key which
can easily be smoothed with a small file if desired.
To install them just tap them in with a small hammer -

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler)